Monday, June 26, 2017

Girls' Trip 2017: Pawhuska, OK! Day ONE

For Mom's birthday - 73! - this year, my daughters-in-law and I decided to take her on a little road trip. Not just any 'ol roadtrip, mind you, one to visit The Mercantile in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, home to the Pioneer Woman herself!

We made our reservations in nearby Bartlesville a good three months ahead of time. Yes, The Merc has generated THAT MUCH visitor traffic; if you want to plan a stay, make sure to allow a good few weeks in advance unless you're willing to stay in Tulsa and drive in from there.

Mom and I rolled out of Northeast Texas about 7:30 am, and met up with Sarah and Elizabeth - leaving from Dallas - in Bartlesville. We ate a quick lunch in a nearby cafe (don't remember the name - the food was great; we were just in a hurry to get to Pawhuska!) and then headed for The Merc.

Y'all.

The Merc DOES NOT DISAPPOINT.


Since we arrived on a Thursday afternoon, the shop itself was not overly populated, even though the deli/restaurant was still commanding a long line outside. In complete awe, we wandered around for several hours, trying on hats, picking up all sizes of scoops, admiring hand towels and linens, and fawning over the endless tables and shelves that fairly oozed all things Pioneer Woman. We were in heaven!

My initial thought was to browse for items of interest on Thursday and then make purchases on our return trip on Friday. Um...nope. I finished perusing with several amazing little finds in my bag, and then I joined the others upstairs in the coffee shop/bakery.

Y'ALL.

Again, words fail me. You MUST visit in order to understand just how wonderfully this Pawhuska project has come together! From 3-4 carefully arranged seating areas, to the unique table tops, to the hospitable and helpful baristas...the upstairs experience was equally thrilling as the downstairs one had been!

I slowly sipped on a Spicy Cowgirl (recipe in future post!) while I glanced around, drinking in all PW's family photos strategically placed around the large, open space of exposed, historical brick. While it allowed you to get the feel of Ree and Ladd and their amazing family, friends, and ranch, even more - it welcomed you in like a giant hug. You were inclined to sink into a seat and sit awhile.

Somehow...I imagine that is just what PW had in mind...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I wanted to visit before we left the area. :( Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was SO amazing! You'll still have to visit!!

    ReplyDelete

Other Transplanted Adventures!