Sunday, July 16, 2017

K A C I

Here's something I've never told many people.

I've always been a "horse" person on the inside. I can remember the car rides to East Texas to visit my grandparents when I was a little girl, when I would gaze dreamily out of the car window, imagining myself on the back of some beautiful, majestic horse.The wind whipping through my hair. Horse and girl as one. A beautiful sunset in the background.

Yes, I had a very active imagination! (Just ask me about Susan and Linda sometime :)

The bottom line was I was a city girl, through and through. I had no access to horses, didn't know the first thing about caring for them, and the closest I'd come to one were the very controlled trail rides at vacation destinations.

But I longed for a horse.

Flash forward forty years (did I just admit that??) and guess what, y'all?

I HAVE A HORSE!

Meet Kaci, my new, beautiful Champagne quarter horse! She has the sweetest disposition, is just the right size for this short gal, and is making my girlhood dream come true!

I've been caring for horses for the past several years. First Tilly, and then Sassy, after she joined our brood. I love them fiercely! Feeding them, talking to them, feeding them treats, and leading the littles around on them. The day we lost Tilly was one of the worst ever. I'll never forget laying in the dirt outside of her stall, stroking her head and whispering to her as she struggled with her last few breaths. I thought my heart was breaking. And Sassy...there's just nothing to NOT love about her: she's spirited, energetic, nosy, and somehow makes it into everyone's wedding photos when they choose to marry here at the B&B. 

But the sheer size of both of them intimidated me, and I rode them very little. 

I knew it would take a special mare to initiate the trust you need to truly bond with your horse. I'd come to the point where I didn't think that time would come for me.

It has, though, in the form of Kaci, purchased just for me by my sweet husband, who is still trying to make all my dreams come true!

Even though it's only been two days, she comes to me when I crawl through the fence into the pasture, she leans her head on my shoulder, and - seriously - I think she knows we're going to have a fine, long relationship.

Staci & Kaci - how could it NOT have been meant to be? 

You'll be seeing a lot of Kaci in the coming weeks, months, and years! ❤ I love her so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Transplanted Adventures!