Monday, July 3, 2017

He is ours.

Several weeks ago I led a local PD workshop in my district. It was titled "Disciplines Can Keep YOU Out of Trouble," meaning that when you can handle discipline in your own classroom instead of continuously sending students to the office or to ISS, then you control more of the climate in your classroom. It makes for a better learning environment for the students and a much healthier teaching environment for YOU.

During these few hours that we spent together, this group of teachers and I shared stories that have impacted us as teachers, as well as human beings. We talked of reaching those we had all but written off, of building relationships with students who made it clear they wanted anything BUT that, and of loving those that everyone else had labeled "unlovable."

A few days later my good friend sent me this article. By the time I had finished reading it I was in tears. I then shared it with Mike and - once again - I teared up as I read it aloud. It was a clear reminder of how important every single student is, whether or not they are approachable or even lovable.

Every. Single. Student.

Teaching these days gets a fairly bad rap. Mainly because the focus has been taken off of the actual act of teaching and instead placed on the governmental controls, standardized testing, and the impossible and unending list of extra "things" that a teacher is often taxed with.

The reality is that the REAL teachers, the ones who view it as a calling instead of a job, are in the classroom every day, doing the only thing we know to do - TEACHING. ENCOURAGING. REDIRECTING. TEACHING. LOVING. REACHING. TEACHING.

Sometimes it is like hugging a porcupine.

It is always worth it.

He is OURS.

THEY are ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Transplanted Adventures!